The Picturedrome, East Finchley, from http://www.phoenixcinema.co.uk
The Phoenix in East Finchley is believed to be Britain’s oldest continuously running cinema. It was founded in 1910 as the Picturedrome and has operated as a cinema ever since. It has been independently owned for most of that time, and after being known as the Coliseum and then the Rex it became the Phoenix in 1975. It now run by a non-profit-making trust and is a Grade II listed building.
This independent cinema proudly keeps up a tradition of showing independent films, and is now looking back to its roots by showing a season of silents, Into Great Silents – The Best in Silent Cinema. So do go along if you can to support them – on Sunday 9 March they are showing Alfred Hitchcock’s The Lodger, accompanied by Ivor Montagu’s Bluebottles, with piano accompaniment by Stephen Horne and an introductory talk by film historian Gerry Turvey. Later screenings will be Sunrise (8 June), Pandora’s Box (21 September) and Battleship Potemkin (28 November).